"...one of the most concise and useful books on the art of egg tempera painting... should be on the bookshelf of every serious artist."
"I can't tell you how wonderful your manual is. I'm in the process of re-reading and highlighting passages as I write this... I found your writing to be exceptionally easy to read and helpful with respect to clarifying many of the issues which remained unclear to me about tempera technique. You seemed to have anticipated most of the questions I would ask and have answered them. The wealth of resource information you offer is incredible."
"I've read many writings on egg tempera over the years, and yours is not only complete, but is simple and direct so that I believe the greenest beginner in this medium could learn from it."
"Your book is beautifully presented, addresses the most important issues of ground and painting, and is just wonderful... it is precisely the guidance I have sought."
"...a treasure trove of wonderful egg tempera information."
"The best book on tempera I've found so far."
"I wanted to thank you for your fabulous book! It is simply wonderful, it was easy to follow but left nothing out, answering all the questions I was so desperately looking for... I couldn't put it down!"
Egg Tempera Painting by Koo Schadler
A comprehensive guide to painting in egg tempera for both the beginning and advanced egg tempera artist. Self published by the author; black and white, spiral bound, 170 pages. The book includes:
- A detailed description of how to make true gesso panels from scratch
- A variety of ways in which to work in egg tempera - using brushes, sponges, glazing, scumbling, and more
- A description of painting a portrait in egg tempera
- An updated and expanded chapter on how to finish an egg tempera painting, including oil painting over tempera and varnishing
- Many appendices, including six new ones added in 2015
Table of Contents
- Introduction: What is Egg Tempera Painting?
- History of Egg Tempera Painting
- Materials for Egg Tempera
- Gesso (including Recipe, Instructions, Problems and Solutions)
- Painting with Egg Tempera
- Painting a Portrait in Egg Tempera
- Finishing an Egg Tempera Painting
II: Particulars of My Palette
III - Suggested Pallettes and Prices
V: Tempera Grassa
VII: Lifting, Digging Holes, Making Repairs
VIII: Egg Tempera Painting Chart
IX: Egg Tempera Misconceptions
XII: The Transition from Oil to Tempera
XIII: Applying Cloth to a Panel
XIV: Applying Gold Leaf Lines over Tempera
XV: Basic Gilding
XVI: Impasto Paint and Egg Tempera
XVII: Aluminum Panels
XVIII: Material Sources and Suppliers
XIX: Recommended Reading
XX: Other Resources
XXI: Koo Schadler Workshops
- List of Paintings
- About the Author
How to Order Egg Tempera Painting by Koo Schadler
As I continue to add more information and pages, the book's weight and postage have gone up. Hence the unfortunate but necessary price increase.
1. Order with a credit card through PayPal by clicking on the button for where
you need the order shipped. All prices include shipping and taxes:
A. Send Egg Tempera Painting to a
U.S. address = $33.00
B. Send Egg Tempera Painting to a Canadian address
C. Send Egg Tempera Painting to an overseas address
2. Or mail a check, money order, or international money order
Attn: Egg Tempera Book Order
562 Alstead Center Road
Alstead, NH 03602